Tips and troubleshooting
Set yourself up for rating success with these easy-to-implement tips for improving your accuracy and workflow.
Garbage in, garbage out! If you enter invalid information or neglect to enter specific information, no rating system can generate an accurate quote. Review each tab in WinRater to verify the data is fully and correctly entered, then let WinRater do the rest.
Stop entering data twice and eliminate errors by connecting your management system and WinRater. Our integration “bridges” seamlessly transfer insured files/policies back and forth between the two systems. WinRater integrates with agency management systems such as AMS360, AfW, APPLIED, SIS, Special Agent, etc. Learn more here.
Each CSR can customize WinRater to look and function the way he or she prefers by going to the WinRater Quick Start menu, clicking USER and then selecting the options that best fit his or her workflow.
Some Auto and Home carriers require Agency Codes in order to rate the business. Agency Codes may also be used to apply appropriate Group Discounts to quotes when Real-Time Rating. You must enter or download these so you have access to them in your WinRater. Remember to update your agency code lists whenever carriers assign you additional codes or change existing ones. To add/edit your Agency Codes:
- Go to WinRater’s POLICY OPTIONS tab and select AGENCY CODES; or
- Go to the WinRater Quick Start menu and click OPTIONS.
Start each quote with the coverages and limits that you quote most often for your “typical” risks. Make your changes by going to OPTIONS on the main WinRater menu bar, then choosing AGENCY PROFILE.
In SinglePoint Settings, remember to keep your carrier credentials (User IDs and Passwords) up to date. If you update your password for such carriers as Arbella, Hanover, Norfolk & Dedham, Plymouth Rock etc., you will need to enter these new credentials into SinglePoint Settings. Click on SinglePoint Settings on WinRater’s Quick Start menu and update the appropriate carrier credentials fields.
Always double-check your Quote Effective Date. When you begin a new quote in WinRater it defaults to today’s date as the effective date of the policy. Be aware of this because carrier Web rating systems can quote rates from their previous filings sometimes as far back as two years. Also, some carriers may generate different premiums based on the number of days you are quoting in advance of the effective date.
Eliminate data-entry errors by submitting directly to a carrier from WinRater/SinglePoint. After getting a quote in WinRater, submit the new business to your carrier via SinglePoint. 100% of the quote data instantly transfers. You don’t have to re-key it! Your carrier will re-rate/validate the risk with the correct data thus reducing errors.
Did you know WinRater can display and print pre-filled forms that your agency needs to sell and service your book of business? These forms include New Business Applications, Binders some Auto Registry forms, and more. You can save these forms as PDFs and email them to your insureds. To access these forms, go to the menu bar and click FORMS or go to your WinRater Rating Detail Screen and click ACTIONS. You’ll streamline your workflow and you’ll look more professional in front of your insured.
We often post smaller (not critical) changes and fixes for WinRater without email notification. Therefore, we suggest you SoftSync at least once a week so that you don’t miss anything.
- Go to HELP menu in WinRater and choose CHECK FOR ONLINE UPDATES
Of course, we will continue to notify you via email of available SoftSync updates for the latest rate changes and critical updates (please run these immediately).
The tips below are specific to Homeowners rating in WinRater/SinglePoint and can improve your rating proficiency.
- You can override almost any plan restriction that carriers have in their Home rating guidelines. If, for example, the age of the home is too old or the Dwelling Coverage too high for a carrier (which normally displays the quote as N/A), you can “override” these restrictions so WinRater can calculate a quote.
- To override a restrictions while in a quote, go to the bottom of the Premium Panel and click the OVERRIDE RESTRICTIONS tab. Just remember, the restrictions are there for a reason.
- You should check with your underwriter to make sure the carrier will allow the override.
- Carriers can use credit information for underwriting purposes. Many carriers require a credit/insurance score to determine tiering and eligibility. If you don’t include this information in your WinRater quote, you likely will generate inaccuracies.
- Many Real-Time Home carriers now run credit checks as part of the Real-Time process. For those that do not and for carriers that use manufactured rates, you can retrieve credit scores while quoting in the WinRater Home program. Using the insured information that is already entered in WinRater, agents can view and print the LexisNexis report. The Lexis Nexis credit information will display the risks eligibility. Click the CREDIT REPORTS tab to see the list of your carriers and then click the RETRIEVE button to view the information. (Setup is required.) Learn more about retrieving credit scores in WinRater.
- How close a dwelling is to coastal water determines eligibility, coastal surcharges and/or wind deductibles. Carriers now are using their own coastal maps and determining distances differently. So, to get an accurate quote, pay close attention to the distance-to-coast field in WinRater.
- Some Real-Time Home carriers do this for you as part of the Real-Time Rating process. For a list of which carriers do so, click here.
Make sure you click the magnifying glass to the left of each premium listed to open the Plan Summary screen, which contains messages that come directly from your carriers. You must review these messages closely, as they can clarify:
- Into which plan the carrier is placing the risk
- Why certain credits/surcharges are not being applied
- Why risks are ineligible
- Communication failures
During the quote process you will see the word “Review” next to the carrier name. Click on the link and it will take you to the area in WinRater that requires attention. Also, pay attention to any hints and warnings found at the bottom of the Premium Panel.
Based on the information you enter, WinRater will apply Superior/Preferred homeowners credits if each carrier offers them.
Do not skip over important fields in the Underwriting tab, such as Loss Free Years, Insured Age and Inflation Guard, as they may be required to qualify for a carrier’s Superior/Preferred Home credits.
We’re here to help – but before you reach for the phone, we encourage you to check the following first:
1. Check your SinglePoint and/or carrier credentials
If any of your credentials have been entered incorrectly, or have expired, this could be causing authentication errors. To edit or update either of these credentials, go to the WinRater menu bar and select one of the following:
2. Make sure you’re quoting either New Business or a Renewal
These are the two types of business WinRater/SinglePoint can quote. Any adjustments/endorsements must be done directly at the Carrier’s site. If you try to quote these in WinRater, you will not receive a correct rate.
3. Check your Quote Effective Date
The wrong date can trigger an error message from carriers, and may affect whether some carrier-specific discounts are applied. To check or modify the date, open the Client tab, click the Quote button, change the date if necessary, then re-rate.
4. Check how/where you submitted your quote
Make sure you submitted your quote directly to the Carrier from WinRater through the “Submit” button on the Plan Summary Screen, and didn’t rekey it at the Carrier’s site.
- Don’t worry – by clicking Submit you are NOT issuing the policy! You’re just seamlessly transferring all the data you diligently entered into WinRater right to the carrier’s site.
- Submitting makes sense – it’s the only way to ensure an “apples to apples” relationship between the WinRater quote and the carrier quote/dec page. It also saves you rekeying time and possible errors.
5. Send quote to Boston Software using the Send to BSC button
If you checked all of the above and are still having a problem, it’s time to send us the quote. You should do this by clicking the Send to BSC button at the bottom of the Plan Summary Screen (see screen shot below).